Friday, May 6, 2011

Traveling with children....a few pointers.



Jaden in the Florida Airport

I have traveled by plane many places with my little ones...and many times on my own.  I traveled across country on my own with both of them when Eva was 4 and Jaden was 1.  After this many trips I feel I have some useful tips that I could pass on to others that may be traveling with little ones!   If this information is useful to you - super!  If not, go ahead a skip this post!!  Ha!

1.  Give children as much "prior warning" as possible when traveling.  I'm a HUGE believer in the idea that the more kids know...the better off you are!  Explain to them exactly what is going to happen wellllll before it ever happens.  For example, before going through security checks explain to your children exactly what it is going to be like.  Explain that they are going to have to take their shoes off.  Explain that they are going to have to walk though the security scanner and what that will be like (be careful to mention that it won't hurt).  Explain to them what the plane will look like, what it will sound like, even what it feels like to sit on it.  I've found the more you talk with your children before hand the less they are likely to be scared of things.

2.  On top of explaining what is going to happen, also explain what you expect from them.  Especially when I'm traveling alone with Eva and Jaden I often sit both of them down and explain what kind of behavior/help/etc. I expect from them.  If you word it in a positive way ("Your MISSION for this trip is to help me with the baby stroller in the security line and to do your best not to sit on the nasty airport floor!!!!!  Do you accept this mission??!!") it goes over as a fun and positive thing!

3.  Go to the bathroom right before you get on the plane and make your kids do the same (even if they say they don't have to go).  Poor kids don't get a choice....if we are going to board they must first sit on the Porcelain Lord!  Ha!

4.  Pack snacks.  I'm not a mom that let's my kids snack a lot....but sometimes while traveling it's a good idea to have them on hand.

5.  Pack gum (or a pacifier for a baby) to help with pressure in their ears during take off.  Again, as children get older you can talk to them about this...explain to them what causes that feeling and how it will soon pass.  My sister told me that if you put a damp napkin inside of a cup and place it over a child's ears it also helps relieve the pressure.  I haven't had to do this (the pressure doesn't bother either of mine) but if you anticipate problems or have had problems in the past I'd try it!

6.  I always pack a SURPRISE BAG that is not allowed to be open until we are SITTING ON THE PLANE.  Now that my children are older they each of their own backpacks that I pack full of goodies (they are their carry-on luggage).  The items I put in these bags is nothing expensive...coloring books, new crayons, a small toy, a small snack, etc.  These bags entertain the little ones for the whole flight and the excitment leading up to the time that they can open them is SO fun for everyone!!!!  On top of that Matt and I rarely pack toys to take with us on trips - the backpacks have goodies in them and that works!

7.  Pack hand sanitizer....enough said.

8.  Make sure you try to plan your flight so that your children eat as close to normal times as possible.  If you are unable to do that pack a special lunch for them on the plane.  In our home a hungry child means a grumpy child...and that's no fun when you are traveling! 

9.  Pack as light as possible for your own carry-on...especially if you are traveling alone with children.

Last but not least.....

10.  ENJOY IT!!!!!!!  I've heard people complain about traveling with children and I just don't get it....traveling with children can be an absolutely beautiful thing because children still see the wonder and amazement in small things!!!!  I love watching my little ones faces as they take in all the sights of the airport.  I love their excitement as the plane starts to move and take off.  It's all in your perspective.  Sooo...my most important piece of advice is to relax and enjoy it!!

"The world is as many times new as there are children in our lives"
--Robert Brault

No comments: