My friend Uyen is from Vietnam. The first time I was at her home she made spring rolls for me. I have to be honest....I was a little hestiant. I am not a HUGE fan of cusine like this, but I told her I would give it a shot.Oh. My. Word.
She opened a whooooooole new world for me and now I am hooked.
COMPLETELY HOOKED.
Being the good hostess that she is she not only made them for me, but she had an entire platter put together of ingredients so she could teach me to make my own. It was like a playdate for our kiddies and a cooking lesson for me - how cool is that?!!
I seriously CRAVE these things and today I finally went out, bought the ingredients and made them myself. Mine did not look nearly as pretty as hers and mine wasn't quite as authentic...but Uyen explained to me that you really can't mess it up...just include what you like. Today I made my own...I included rice vermicelli (basically a rice noodle), snow peas, sprouts, carrots, green onions, and chicken. It's all rolled up in rice paper (which feels like plastic before it is wet - the kids think it is SUPER cool)! I then dipped it in a peanut sauce (Uyen makes her own - I cheated and just bought it)!
It was DELICIOUS and soooooo healthy! I have a new favorite for lunch - I seriously ate two and could have ate about 2 more (but stopped myself...reluctantly).
Thanks Uyen for a FUN new recipe that is tooooo delish for words!
2 comments:
my neighbor across the street is from Vietnam and she has taught me to cook many things!! My most favorite was the Fried Rice and Thai ice teas...
(She also owns a nail salon...free pedicure and cute painted fingers on our girls!)
I love to learn new recipes...may have to try this one too!!
You rock!! Oh you are making me hungry!! Yummylicous!!! We will have to make some more!!
Post a Comment