Thursday, April 8, 2010

No One Tells You About This One....

When I was preparing to become a mother I found myself continuously preparing. Preparing the house. Preparing the nursery. Preparing for the birth. Preparing...preparing...preparing.

On top of that people (especially new mothers) are more than willing to give you advice. Advice on how to get through the labor. Advice on how to feed your newborn. Advice on how to get your child to nap. Advice...advice...advice.

I will be honest...by the time I was ready to give birth I felt prepared. And looking back I really think I was prepared.

But there was one area of motherhood that no one really talks about and I was NOT prepared for...

MOMMY GUILT.

Mommy guilt can hit me and I feel like I just got hit by a Mack Truck. And the thing I've learned is Mommy guilt doesn't seem to end.

When my children were newborns the guilt would come in the form of feeling bad if I got them off of their schedule. I was also still working at that point and the guilt I would feel when I would leave my child to go to work was sometimes completely consuming. It crushed me.

As my children have gotten older the guilt can come at me in many different forms....

I will feel guilty if I feel I haven't spent adequate play time with my children during the course of a day (due to getting housework done, all of us running errands, etc).

I feel guilty if I forget an appointment or GASP!! - even worse - I actually drove my daughter to school on a day the WHOLE SCHOOL was closed! Ya. It's the truth. (only I honestly didn't feel guilty about this one because Eva, Jaden, and I were all laughing so hard when we pulled into the school and realized we were the only ones in the parking lot!).

The guilt crushes me when I have my hands full with dinner and one of my children says, "Mommy, will you play with me?"

I feel guilty when I spend time on ME....time that could be spent on THEM.

The list is endless.

I know that it's important for my children to be able to play on their own. I know that it's important that I get things done around the house. I know that any ordinary mom accidentally misses an occasional appointment (although I may be one of the few that has drove her child to school when it was CLOSED!!! - ha!).

I know all that.

But it doesn't make the guilt just go away. I (as all mothers do) want so badly for my children to have memories of a wonderful childhood. A childhood where their Mommy played with them and created special memories with them. I have amazing memories of my childhood.

Sooo...I decided to ask my mom about all this. I asked her about my childhood. She reminded me that yes, she played with me.

But she also did all the laundry.
And cleaned the house.
And cooked.
And ran errands.
And watched General Hospital every day (I died laughing when she reminded me of this).
And taught exercise classes.
And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

And I still have amazing memories of my mom running around the yard with us, and painting our faces, and playing games, and making us special lunches, and taking us on special trips. Amazing amazing memories.

So...I will keep my head up and continue to tell myself that I am doing all I can to raise these little people right. To raise them to understand that even though they are my world, my world can not completely revolve around them.

And I will NOT feel guilty about it.

Ok...maybe just a little.

7 comments:

JoyfulHeartPhotography said...

Jamie, ahh so true. It doesn't end here though the guilt comes in different forms as they get older...I think that's what makes us moms. We do that. Guilt is our middle name.

{By the way, yes I have driven my boys to preschool and found out it was closed.I have more stories....}

Anonymous said...

Jamie, just the fact that you are concerned about this "guilt" shows that you are a very sensitive mom. IT IS A NORMAL PART OF BEING A MOM..
And believe me, it doesn't stop at being a mom..It continues when you are a grandmother. You think you should be spending more time with your grandkids....Kids have to have a balance in their lives and learn that there will be times that they need to entertain themselves because there IS those times that moms (and grandmas) have to do daily chores..If you are constantly entertaining them, they will never learn to be independent as adults...You are doing a great job as a mother, don't be so hard on yourself...WHAT YOU ARE FEELING IS ALL NORMAL...I'll stop blabbing now...Diana--(Krissy and Kelly's mom---did I spend enough time w/them..don't know but they turned out pretty good I think) :)

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Such a refreshing post...and one I can totally relate to. Thanks for perspective today...! XXOO

The Johnsons said...

Ohhh my gosh I'm so glad you blogged about this because everyday I feel bad...I feel bad having Hayden play on his own with the little ones are napping so that I can get SOMETHING done, I feel bad that one night every THREE MONTHS that I might leave for 2 hours and Hayden says "are you coming back mommy???" with such a sad face...the guilt is overwhelming for me everyday...especially because Hayden is 3 and I feel like he isn't treated like "a little baby" like he should be somewhat still at 3...but then I think that even though right now he probably is mad at me for not getting as much attention someday he will love having siblings so close together right?!?! I hope...again, thanks for making me feel better especially when I feel like you have it SOOOOOO SOOOOO together as a mother and wife Jaime! Your always doing such fun stuff with your kiddos and I admire that!!! ~Morgan

Paramoure House said...

Great blog Jamie!!! I too have mommy guilt all the time!! Your blog should be in a magazine that I flip thru at the doctors office!!

Kimberly said...

Jamie, I am so glad that we often help each other through this! It is good to know and being able to find the balance is a daily learning lesson, having you to listen always helps....You are an amazing friend & Mom!! Thank you as always!!

Tonya said...

Thank you for this great post! I totally needed this today. I'm sure it will be one I re-read many times when I feel like I am 'the only one'!