If you read my last post you know that occasionally I may have a little freak out moment or two that is completely unwarranted. I've learned over the years that when I respond to a situation in a panic I am usually not thinking completely clearly (as is evident in the last post).
Then sometimes things happen that - for whatever reason - cause me great concern but do not send me into a total tizzy.
On Sunday my little guy came down with a fever. It was on and off during the day and I just kept an eye on him (careful not to overreact). He spent the day playing with his sister and was running around so I wasn't too concerned.
Later in the day the fever started to creep up. Those of you that know me well know that I don't usually give my children Tylenol for a fever until it hits around the 102 degree mark. I have been taught that a fever is the body's natural way of fighting off things and you don't want to take that natural source of defense away. However, at 102 degrees I tend to administer Tylenol. When Jaden's fever got to that point I gave him Tylenol.
Not much of a response....the fever remained and continued to creep up.
At 102.7 degrees I put him in a lukewarm tub. Just a side note...the little guy wasn't happy about it and you KNOW you are a mom when you willingly climb into a tub of that temperature with your child and act like it's the best bath EVER!!
That brought his temperature down to about 100 degrees but he was starting to act lethargic. I sat him on my lap and in a matter of about 5 minutes watched his temperature climb back up to 102 degrees....
....then 103.....
....then 103.2....
....then my thermometer wouldn't even read it....it just said, "HIGH"....
I knew my little guy needed medical attention and a trip to the ER was in order. This time there was no panic - I just packed up and left.
To make a long story short, once at the hospital his fever had climbed to 104 degrees and he was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. He was put on an antibiotic and by the next day (actually by later that night) he seemed like a new boy.
Bottom line....sometimes as mothers we respond in a panic (and in my case usually get a pretty funny story out of it)....and sometimes there is a calm voice inside of us that lets us know we need some help beyond what we are able to provide. What it alllll boils down to is that we love these little people more than life itself and will do absolutely anything and everything in our power to make sure they are alright.
Mothers are just like that.
5 comments:
When George had walking P., it was SO SCARY! (104 temp, lethargic, etc.) Glad he's feeling better :)
It sounds like you've had an interesting few days - hoping and praying that you get enough rest so that you don't end up with the pneumonia on top of the pink eye!
Give your little ones a big hug and kiss - hope they feel better. And you too-HUGS!
I'm glad to hear he's better. There's nothing like a mother's instinct.
You poor, poor thing... I'm about ready to do my post on our recent "medical" craziness... Bring on Spring!!!
You can count on one thing,... This friend of your will never accuse you over over-reacting....Thank goodness for teh guys... But when the little ones are sick you listen to the little ones....Take care!!! Prayers always.
Post a Comment