Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crash Course in Studio Photography!

I continue to pursue my passion for photography. I love learning new things...and today was a BIG one! At this point I have only done outdoor photography, but recently I've been contacted by a few people that would like me to do some indoor shots.

I was hesitant in my ability and had decided to tell them no when Justin (my photography coach/teacher/mentor) told me to go for it...and said he would allow me to use his studio...and he would give me a crash course in studio lighting.

How could I refuse an offer like that?

So today I got my little munchkins dressed in cute little outfits, grabbed my camera, and off we went to Kelly and Justin's studio....


Justin and I spent a lot of time talking about lighting, and posing, and camera settings, and all of that other stuff that I find fascinating...and confusing...and overwhelming....but deep down I LOVE.
My little peanuts were the perfect little models and looked forward to their special treat - baking banana bread with mommy - as their reward for being so patient while I learned.

Justin really helped me not only learn about studio lighting, but also some techniques in my shooting style that needed to be changed a bit. One of the big ones was that I have a tendency to shoot "up" on my subjects and he suggested I start shooting "down" more often, like on the picture below...

Love the way it looks don't you?!

At the end of our session Justin wanted to demonstrate dramatic lighting to me...and guess what he hauled out to use as a prop?!!! Just look......

I think it's an understatement to say this little girl was pumped about this picture!

Thanks Justin for allowing Eva, Jaden, and I to spend time in the studio and for alllll you taught me!

"You don't take a photograph...you make it."
-Ansel Adams




7 comments:

Matt said...

Good Job J...I'm proud of you and your many talents!

Stacey said...

They are FANTASTIC Jamie! Great job!

Krissy said...

They look great Jamie!! LOVE the single shot of Jaden....too cute!

Anonymous said...

I want that pic of Jaden in the chair!!! Grandma loves it!!Grandma F
So--How do we get pics taken????????

Anonymous said...

wow! that totally sounds like a dreamy way to spend the day! i'm in love w/the overhead shot of eva! great capture in the eyes :-)

Kimberly said...

AWESOME! Creative! Book me an appointment please!....Not kidding....

Aun t Kat said...

Love the one of Eva and Jaden hugging!!!!