Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Heading to Haiti?

This Happy Housewife has been contemplating a very big decision lately....heading to Haiti.

It's something I have thought about for weeks. Our church was sending a team of medical personnel and I told Matt that I wished they were sending people to help with the children.

The following week our church changed the original request to include people that would be willing to help with the children in that country. Matt just looked at me and said, "Go."

To make a very long story short there were only four positions available to go and I qualified for one of them. I am honored....I am excited...and I am scared.

I have been thinking a lot and praying a lot. I will not let my insecurities and fears keep me from going - but some of the questions I need answered regard my safety and the safety of my children once I return from those conditions and that would prevent me from going. My family and their safety is my first priority.

That being said, I feel called. I've never had a desire to walk into a situation like this before...but Haiti is different. The images of the children there are killing me. I just want to hold them, rock them, and do anything I can to help them heal.

Sooo my friends....please keep me in your prayers at this time. It's a big decision and one that I do not take lightly.

Hugs,
Jamie

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Praying, you will know, you will come to a decision in time. HUGS!

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Love ya Jamie...as we have discussed... God has opened these doors for you...He WILL take care of all the details...He will. I wish I was going with you. XOXO

Kathy said...

Psalm 85:11
Psalm 91:10-12 (safety)
Hebrews 11:6
Job 15:4 (cast off fear)
Isaiah 35:4
Isaiah 61:1-3



ps.....I want the kiddos for a weekend :)

Love you....
Kat

Mom of Double A said...

What an opportunity you have. I think it is God speaking directly to you since the original plans from your church changed to directly helping the children!
You would be able to give them so much love and compassion - they need you! And it will make you treasure all that you have even more than you already do.
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

At first when Matt told me that you wanted to go to Haiti; I thought "she can't go, she has too much responsibility now" (like taking care of me and cleaning my cupboards!). However, I, too, have been praying about your desire and I believe if God opens the door then you are to go. As I had told you earlier, I wanted to go just for the children--a lot of good I could do now--so we are behind you 100%. If you can go, I will do whatever I can to help with the little ones. I love you and thank you for being a special daughter-in-law.