Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pack em' up and move em' out....

After having children I quickly learned that toys can overtake your entire house. It's a bit crazy how quickly they multiply....a bit like rabbits.

Soooo, about twice a year we weed out the toys and get rid of the ones we don't use. This year a friend told me that a local church is accepting donations of gently used toys. They are collecting them for about a month and then they've selected some needy families in the area to come in and "Christmas shop" for free.

How cool is that?!!!!

I was pretty pumped because this just goes right along with my ongoing lesson in teaching my children to give to those in need. On top of that, the Holidays are quickly approaching and we needed to make room for more trinkets and treasures they will be sure to accumulate. So today we got packing!! It got a little messy....

But in the end we went through closets, drawers, and our entire toy area! Toys were sorted according to keep, trash, and give away. The toys we were donating were all boxed up (except the large ones) and piled high ready to load into my car!

I was proud of Eva and Jaden....they really put some effort into this whole process this morning and easily said goodbye to the toys they no longer play with or have outgrown. I'm going to make sure to take them with me when I drop the toys off so they see more of this whole process of giving.

In the end....it's a win-win situation for everyone.

I love that.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love going through the toys, Tess gets really into it, each time we take some clothes or toys to charity it is a learning experience...I have memories of this as a child and it leaves an impression on us...Helping others...priceless!

Jami said...

This is a task I accomplish about twice a year also. I LOVE the free Christmas shopping idea! I love to give things away when someone else can benefit!!