Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Summer Catch-Up: Triathlons


This summer Eva and Jaden particiapted in TWO triathlons!  I could NOT have been more proud of my kiddos watching them embrace what these races have to offer!  I participated in my first triathlon, and while I won't be signing up for any Ironman races (like the one my brother-in-law just competed in AGAIN), I did enjoy myself!  

The first one the kiddos did was called a TRY-a-thlon.  I kind of laughed because I thought this would be a much more laid back tri than the one Eva had done in the past.  I was wrong!!!  This was was pretty intense and A LOT more competitive than the one done in the past!!!!!  The kiddos did amazing and even placed - which was crazy because it was Jaden's FIRST triathlon!!  

Jaden got to be a pretty good swimmer this year, but since this was his FIRST triathlon we had him wear a lifevest.  The amazing thing was that even in the lifevest he beat the other kiddos in his heat!

TRANSITION AREA!!  We are quickly learning how to make our transition areas faster!  One trick we learned at this race was to dump baby powder on your feet so your shoes slide on faster!  Eva has her game face on...

Eva finishing the race (her heat went before Jaden)

In this triathlon one parent could run with a child.  Eva didn't need it, but since it was Jaden's first Matt ran with him.  We quickly learned he didn't really need it either.  When Matt asked if he was doing OK he said, "let's go faster"...

Crossing the finish line like a boss!!

BOTH kiddos placed and got trophies!!  Eva got 3rd in her division and Jaden got 2nd!

The Eagle Lake Triathlon is the triathlon that Eva did last year.  This year Jaden joined her.  This triathlon is different than the first one because they must do the swim portion in the lake....and there is a LOT of seaweed.  Last year that really threw Eva off, but this year she was not only ready - she also warned her brother!!!  

Triathlon suit...check!  Goggles....check!  Swim cap...check!  Eva is ready to kick some booty!

Jaden was a little more hesitant with the swimming portion of this one.  He wasn't sure about the lake.  I was proud of him because he overcame his fear and dived in...then swam like a little fish!

She's OFF and she is on FIRE!!  No seaweed is going to stop her this year!!

Transition to the biking portion.  I love the look of determination on her face!!!
  
Done with the bike portion and she takes off running!!

Jaden (again in a later heat than Eva) takes off on his bike!!!!  

Crossing the finish line and giving high-5's on the way!

I loooove Jaden's face as he crossed the finish line!!  (I wish I would have got pics of him running, but I literally run around like a crazy person trying to see them at each transition phase)!!!

Awards ceremony for the kids.  In this triathlon everyone receives a medal and a stuffed eagle.

Eagle Lake was my first triathlon and I did it with my sister.  She is a seasoned pro, but was kind enough to stay with me for through all of it!  I had a lot of fun!!

Nicole and I waiting for our heat to start the swimming portion.  

I love our friend Greg standing on the pier watching all of us swim!!  I was worried about the swimming portion, but I did just fine with it.  Randomly, the biking portion (which was I WAS NOT worried about) was my hardest part.

On to the bike portion of the race...

Last, but not least, the running portion of the race...

Crossing the finish line...hand in hand with my sis.  Love her.

These triathlons added a fun and exciting element to our summer!!  We all loved participating in them (Matt has participated in the past, but didn't this year since he is training for a marathon).  Not only are they fun and exciting, but it's a GREAT way to encourage healthy habits in our kiddos!  We look forward to participating in more in the future!!  Eva has even been contemplating an IRON KIDS triathlon (the kids version of the Ironman triathlon my brother-in-law competes in).  This would be a big deal, as we would have to travel out of state for her to compete.

Also, have I mentioned I love my sister yet?  I do.  She was awesome pushing me harder and harder during this race.  Thanks Nic.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do.  All your life people will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough.  They'll say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this.  THEY WILL TELL YOU NO.  A thousand times no until all the no's become meaningless.  All your life they will tell you no quite firmly and very quickly they will tell you no...and YOU WILL TELL THEM YES".
--Nike Ad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go J and kiddos! And thanks for making the trip down that night to spend with us to celebrate my birthday!! Love you all!

Mom said...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.
Proud. Proud. Proud.
xoxo