Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Homemade Light Sabers


Since the theme of Jaden's birthday party was Star Wars we decided it would be fun to give each child a light saber.  In case you haven't priced them, light sabers in the store are pretty pricey.....so we got creative!  We made each child a homemade one!  Here is how we did it....


We used the following materials:

A bubble wand (this goes inside to give it support and also give the child something fun to do when the they are done playing with the light saber).

Different colors of electrical tape and duct tape.  We used the black and silver duck tape to keep everything together, and the colorful electrical tape to make the handle of the light saber have buttons, and other "digital" info.

Inexpensive pool noodles.  This is the "sword" part of the light saber.

Black pipe insulation for the handle of the light saber.

Putting it together was a breeze!  We cut the pool noodle into the desired length (we cut ours in half so we could get 2 light sabers out of each noodle).  Slide the long part of the bubble bottle into the noodle. Cover the handle of the bubble bottle with the pipe insulation (cut to desired length).  I used silver duct tape to connect the noodle and the insulation.  Then I alternated silver and black tape the rest of the way down the handle of the light saber.  Jaden decorated the handle of the light saber with the various colors of electrical tape to give it the look he wanted.  I wish I had a closer picture of the finished product, but I don't!!  If you have questions you can email me.

Everyone was given a light saber at the party and we had "Jedi Training" for all of his little Jedi friends!!  The kids seemed to have a lot of fun!!

No comments: