Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I May Be Crazy.

I signed up for a triathlon.

It's in a week and a half.

Yes, you read that correctly.

It seems that triathlons are starting to weave effortlessly into our family life.  Matt has done one.  My kids have done them.  My sister has done quite a few.  My brother-in-law is signed up for his second Ironman Triathlon.  

I've always made excuses not to do a triathlon.  I think I've always been scared.  Scared that I wasn't what I needed to be to finish a triathlon.  Scared that I wouldn't deliver results that others expected...or that I expected.   But the more I thought about it the more I realized that the very things that were holding me back - pride and fear - are two things I just don't have room for in my life.    
They are not welcome here.  

How can I tell my kids to overcome their fear and not worry about what others think if I'm not modeling the same thing?

So I signed up.  I have very little time to train and many would tell me I'm setting myself up for failure, but the thing is, I just wanted to prove to myself I can do it.  

I don't care about my time.  
I simply want to finish. 

I think this Nike quote summed it up the best....

Quit making excuses, putting it off, complaining about it, dreaming about it, whining about it, crying about it, believing you can't, worrying if you can, waiting until you're older, skinnier, richer, braver, or all around better.  Suck it up, hold on tight, say a prayer, make a plan, and 
JUST DO IT.

Soooo....with 2 weeks training I'll just do it.  On a whim and a prayer.  I'll push my body harder than I've pushed it in a long time.  Back against the wall.  Wish me luck.

"Everything you need is already inside"
--Nike

No comments: