Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Greyson's Birth Sory

For each of my children I have wrote down their "birth story"...the story of how they made their own little entrance into the world.  Eva and Jaden's are written down in journals I use to keep for them since I didn't blog at the time. Greyson's will be documented here.  For those of you that don't like reading long posts - skip this one!  I've always said my blog is my journal and it's important Greyson's story is told just like the other two had theirs told.



Greyson Steel....

We knew we wanted a third little one.  We felt the tug on our heartstrings.  We thought adoption was the way to go since we had talked for years about adopting from another country.  We started the adoption process...found an agency we liked, got linked up with a representative, and even filled out the initial paper work.  We were matched to 3 different countries (China, Bulgeria, and Ethiopia).  We were well on our way.

But God had other plans.

In the midst of all this adoption hoopla your Daddy and I sat down one night and had a bit of a heart to heart talk.  Seems that all of a sudden we were both feeling a bit unsure about this whole adoption thing, which was odd because it had seemed pretty clear to us months earlier.  After talking awhile we decided to put the adoption on the backburner and just see how we felt in a few weeks or months.

Within 2 months we were expecting YOU. 

We were excited and didn't wait long at all to tell the world!  We started with Eva and Jaden.  One Saturday morning we told them we had a surprise for them.  We handed them each a gift bag and when they pulled out their gift they looked confused....they were each holding a baby toy!!  We explained that a new little baby was going to be added to our family and the toys were for them to use with the new little one!  They were super excited - and a bit shocked!  We wanted them to help us tell our other family members so they quickly got to work drawing pictures of our family - including the baby.  We handed these out to grandparents and giggled at their astonishment when they realized a 5th person was in the picture! 

My pregnancy with you started out pretty smoothly, but I was soon overcome with morning sickness.  I ended up spending a lot of time laying down - often in my bedroom with the door shut so I couldn't smell any food!!  The only thing that sounded good to me was Smores Poptarts - I ate a LOT of Smores Poptarts!!  In October you went on your first airplane ride - via my tummy!!!  Our family traveled to Barbados!  I felt pretty good the whole time I was there as long as I kept my trusty Smores Poptarts close by!  Ha!  It was a fun trip and an exciting time knowing that you were growing inside me!!

In January we learned that you were a BOY!!  We were thrilled!  Eva and Jaden were BOTH hoping for a baby brother!!!  We also learned at that time that I had placenta previa.  A condition that was serious for me, but not for you (thank goodness)!!  Due to my placenta previa the rest of my pregnancy with you was VERY low key!  I cancelled many plans I had with friends and family and just stayed close to home...often on the couch with my feet up!!  It was so important to me that I did all I could to ensure both of our safety and well being.  You were an active little baby while in my tummy.  You kicked a lot - especially at night when I was trying to sleep.  You also gave me horrible heartburn so I guessed you may have a head full of hair like your brother and sister did!

At 32 weeks pregnant I had to get 2 steroid shots to help develop your lungs in case you were born early.  Eva and Jaden thought it was pretty funny that I had to get these shots in my bum!  At 33 weeks pregnant I was hospitalized for 3 days due to some complications with my placenta previa.  At that time they did another ultrasound to see how you were doing.  I was surprised to learn that you already weighed 5 POUNDS and you indeed did have a head of hair - they could see it in the ultrasound picture!  When I went home after the hospital stay I was not allowed to do much of anything except sit on my "lily pad" most of the day (I started calling wherever I was sitting my lily pad while I was pregnant with you since I sat so much).  During this time your Daddy turned into SUPER DAD!  He did everything around the house, took care of Eva and Jaden, and also took care of me.  He said he enjoyed it!  It was a special time for our little family.

You were scheduled to arrive via C-section on April 24th.  That morning Daddy and I left for the hospital at about 5am.  We were laughing because you were kicking the whole way to the hospital!  It was as if you knew it was a big day!!  When we arrived my friend Krissy (who happens to be an OB nurse) was there to meet us and I was so thankful for her!  She had our room all ready and even had a little gift sitting there for us!  She got us all settled and even had time to play a prank on us!  She convinced nurses to tell us that we couldn't have our c-section that day because I had not used the body wipes I was asked to use the day before surgery (she had previously told me I didn't need them).  Needless to say, she tricked me AND Daddy!!  I was about in tears! 

A little before 8:00 they wheeled me back to the surgery room.  I was prepped for surgery and then Daddy was allowed to come in - looking so handsome in his hospital scrubs!  It only took 16 minutes for the doctors to get you out and my-oh-my did you let us know you weren' too pleased about it!  You SCREAMED and SCREAMED and SCREAMED!!!  You screamed the ENTIRE time the nurses were measuring you and weighing you.  You screamed while the took your footprint.  You screamed and screamed until they swaddled you and handed you to Daddy...and then you were absolutely content.  It was a pretty amazing moment.

We weren't sure what to name you.  We had a couple names picked out and had narrowed it down to Greyson Steel or Cruz (we couldn't decide on a middle name for Cruz).  When you were born Daddy and I looked at eachother, nodded our heads, and said, "Greyson".  It just fit.

Daddy snuggled you and put you right up by my face where I could nuzzle you during the rest of my surgery.  I felt so thankful that you were here with us and I loved you so much already!!  Afterwards I was wheeled out into recovery where Nonna and Aunt Nicole quickly swooped in to love on you too!!

After I was wheeled to my room with you we were anxious to tell the world you were here!  A lot of people were praying for your safe arrival and we needed to let them know their prayers were answered!  In the 5 years since I had delivered Jaden a lot had changed.  With Jaden we called all of our friends and family....with you we called, texted, and posted your picture on Facebook!  Everyone was so excited!!

Soon after that visitors began arriving to meet you - starting with Eva and Jaden!  Grandma and Grandpa Fisher had been taking care of them all day and once they knew you were here they were anxious to meet you!  Other visitors came after that....Grandpa Jim and Grandma Kay, Papa Bob, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Jon, Kallie and Lilly....and many many more!  It was such a special time and everyone was so anxious to meet you!!

So....that is the story of how you arrived into this world.  As I am writing this you are 3 weeks old and you are sound asleep in your swing next to me.  You are SUCH a good baby and such a special addition to our lives.  I often find myself just staring at you and thanking God for you.

Greyson Steel, we love you more than you will ever know and feel honored that God has entrusted us with you.  You are a true blessing.

XOXO...
Mommy

3 comments:

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Love!!!

Aunt Kathy said...

Greyson ~
Aunt Kathy has loved you since I found out I was going to be an aunt again. I simply could not wait to leave work, pick up Kallie, Lilly, and Uncle Jon and head to the hospital to meet you. I took you right out of Grandma Fisher's arms so I could hold you and love on you. You have 2 amazing parents and a brother and sister who love you so much. I am so glad God blessed our entire family with you. I love you....more than rainbows.

Nonna said...

You stole my heart the moment I saw you, Mr. Man!!! You're my very favorite youngest grandson!!! xoxoxo