Friday, March 23, 2012

OUCHY-WA-WA!!!!

So recently I got a new little toy that look like this....


I think it's safe to say I was super excited to use my new toy this past weekend and decided the first order of business was a batch of cookies!  Matt was at work, the kiddies were outside playing, and I had this perfect little image in my mind of a yummy dinner and fresh-from-the-oven cookies being ready by the time Matt got home! 

I got all the ingredients mixed (I should preface this with the fact that I bake fairly often - this isn't a new endeavor for me).  I got the dough arranged on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven.  When the timer went off I got my oven mitt and pulled them out.   I noticed that my mitt was squishing one of the cookies so I switched the cookie sheet to the other hand......the hand that did not have on an oven mitt mind you!!!

HOLY SCHMOLLY!!!!!!!  Let's just say a 350 degree cookie sheet and a bare hand don't mix.  I quickly dumped the cookie sheet onto my stove and ran to the sink to run cold water over my hand. 

A quick call to the doc confirmed that I had numerous 2nd degree burns all over my hand AND I wasn't allowed to put any type of typical medication on it because of the pregnancy.  Ugh.  I did the same thing when I was pregnant with Eva, but the burns were down the back of my leg.  Its not a fun situation - burns hurt!!!

After literally HOURS of soaking my hand in cold water and a few kind friends and family members that dropped off aloe gel and a few other things that didn't seem to do the trick, I decided I HAD to do something - the pain was throbbing!!  I pulled out my phone and put a request on trusty Facebook for natural remedies for burns.

OH MY WORD!!!!  Remedies came pouring in!!!  I never knew there were so many remedies out there!  At this point the kids were already in bed, so I had to find something I had on hand.  Someone mentioned honey and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Worked like a CHARM!!

I drizzled my entire hand in honey, got an ice bag, and loosely wrapped a towel around the whole thing so I wouldn't get honey all over my sheets.  It did take awhile to fall asleep because my hand throbbed, but soon that throbbing went away and I slept completely soundly.  The next morning my hand had literally NO pain and my blisters looked amazingly better!!

Sooo friends...moral of the story:  USE AN OVEN MITT!!!  If by chance you forget, honey is a GREAT remedy!!!

2 comments:

. said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! Bless your heart!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!!

. said...

Ps- I sell a product called the Healer which is Shea butter and vitamin e- it's great for healing burns and greatly aids in the healing process. If your interested, you can check it out at www.perfectlyposh.com/438. All natural, pure products.