We've been busy lately....too busy. We've got two major projects going on at our house (finishing the basement and landscaping around our fence out back). That combined with T-ball, swimming lessons, tennis, my workouts, etc. was making for some very busy days.I'm not one that enjoys running around all day...there are so many more important things to be spending our time on.
So I had to make a conscious effort to slllooooooow down.
I've started grocery shopping once and getting enough for 2 weeks (this takes more planning...but it cuts down on at least one errand). I've cancelled a few of my workout sessions at the gym and have worked out at home instead. I pulled Eva out of tennis for the first summer session and have her set up to restart it for the second session....later this summer. I've made a point to cut our schedule down - to "make time" do do less....does that make sense?And what have we done with this time?
We've played.
We've had picnics.
We've gone swimming.
We enjoyed the splash pad.
We've spent a lot more time in the garden.
We've jumped with excitement when the ice cream truck visited.
We've rode bikes.
We've painted faces (just cause it's fun)!
We've gone to the park.
We've laughed and we've giggled.
We've felt the heat of the sun on our skin....and we've literally danced in the rain.
Yes, we are still doing things.....but these are the things we enjoy doing. The things that summer is alll about. The things I hope my children remember when they look back and think about how they spent their childhood summers.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed."
--Ghandi
3 comments:
Three Cheers for slowing down....Isn't grand! Love the face painting, can we do that together sometime with the kiddos?
Great Idea! So simple, yet we rarely ensure that we make time to do these things! Thanks for giving up the idea of SLOWing down. :) Seems impossible for me with one in high school and two little ones, but I am sure I can make it happen if I try. Glad you are having a great summer! :)
Sarah
Great idea, Jamie! Summer can be a super busy time, but it is a wonderful to slow down and be present for our loved ones. I often need this reminder as well, thanks!
Post a Comment