Thursday, March 27, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things....

Time for a new favorite things post!!  Yay!!!  This time I'm going to focus on food because...well, duh...I love food!  I'm Italian!  I was BORN to love food!!!  This quote pretty much sums up my attitude regarding food:


Yes, I love to eat....but the key is eating well.  Your body needs foods that help fuel it and keep it healthy.  I am not saying it's not ok to splurge (have you ever SEEN me eat chips and salsa??  HELLO!  It's honestly a joke among my friends) but you mustn't splurge every single meal...or even every single day.

That being said, I've found the best thing to do is FIND healthy foods you LOVE!  Then you don't feel like you are depriving yourself of anything.  I decided I would share a few of my favorites with you.

Tazo Chai Latte


I am not a coffee drinker, but I looooove warm drinks.  Sometimes I drink tea (it would be an even healthier option)....but sometimes I want something a little creamier.  I started ordering chai lattes at Starbucks years ago.  After awhile I noticed the brand they use is called Tazo.  Soon after that I realized I could buy it at the grocery store!!  Honestly, it tastes the exact same and you save a TON of money doing it yourself.  I usually make myself a mug of this day as a snack.  For those of you that may be curious...it is about 115 calories for a standard mug made with skim milk.  It also contains no artificial sweeteners (just pure cane sugar) which is music to this mama's ears!


Ezekiel Bread



Oh man have I become an addict of this bread.  It tastes great....but soooo much more.  Ezekiel is different for many reasons.  To put it simply, this bread is produced the same way bread was produced years and years and years ago (we're talking Bible times, hence the name) which is a LOT healthier than the way bread is produced now.  Long story short, it does not contain anything on the label that I can't pronounce or don't recognize (can't say that about pretty much any breads in the traditional bread aisle).  It does not contain sugar.  It is kept in the FREEZER section of your grocery store because it does not contain all the harmful preservatives that other breads do.  For those of you that may be curious...it's about 80 calories a slice.  I usually eat it for breakfast toasted with a little peanut butter on it before a morning run.  

Terra Chips



I was first introduced to these chips when my mom, sister, and I took a little vacation to the Mi Amo Spa in Arizona.  The thing I loved about Mii Amo is that their whole focus is on wellness...spiritual wellness, physical wellness, emotional wellness, etc.  They have top of the line chefs and an exhibition style kitchen where guests can watch (and learn) how to make nutritious meals during their stay.  Healthy food is an important and large part of the atmosphere at Mii Amo.  Anyway....while we were there we often would order lunch by the pool.  Our salads or sandwiches often came with a side of Terra chips.  One bite and I was hooked.  These chips are made from vegetables (normally root vegetables) and use 100% natural ingredients.  Each ounce contains an entire serving of vegetables...the problem is stopping at once ounce.  I have to lock mine in the cabinet so I don't eat the whole bag.  Just kidding....kind of.  For those of you that may be interested, these chips are about 150 calories a serving.  I usually eat them as a snack!

PB2


This is a new favorite....and I'm completely head-over-heels-I-want-to-eat-it-every-day in love with it.  I had heard about this odd powdered peanut butter before but had honestly never checked it out because I assumed it contained ingredients/chemicals that may SEEM healthy....but were no good for your body.   I finally picked up a jar of it and looked at the ingredients....OH MY WORD!!!  3 ingredients:  Peanuts, sugar, salt.  Oh, but it gets better...soooooo much better.  It contains a FRACTION of the sugar regular peanut butter contains AND it contains 85% less calories!!!  On top of that, it tastes GREAT!  I literally sit around thinking about what I can put it on or dip in it (mix it with a little water and it turns into a traditional peanut butter consistency).  For those of you that may be interested, 2 tablespoons is 45 calories and I looove to use this in a smoothie!

Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Squares
I am not someone that has much of a sweet tooth, but every so often...when the kids are in bed....when the day is done....when I'm ready to relax...I just want a little treat.  One square of Ghiradelli dark chocolate is perfect.  I take small bites and let them melt in my mouth.  The key here is that it is DARK chocolate - MUCH MUCH healthier than other forms of chocolate.  For those of you that may be interested, they are 50 calories a square.  

There you have it my friends!  A few of my favorite things I pick up at the grocery store!  Feel free to share some of your favorites too!

Xoxo...
Jamie





1 comment:

Cramer Coffee and Jesus said...

I need to tell my friend about the chai stuff - she lovessss that kind of stuff! By the way, thanks a lot - now I want some chocolate! ha