I thought I would share something special I do with my little girl...
Eva is growing so fast. At 9 years old, she's heading full force into the preteen years. It's important to me that I do everything I can to keep the lines of communication open between us. This takes time and must be intentional.
It means when she shares things with me I stop what I am doing and listen....even if I am busy.
It means that I carve out time just for the two of us to spend time together. Special mommy-daughter dates.
It means making sure that I listen whole-heartedly and not judge - or even comment - at times when she is sharing with me.
I want her to know she can always be honest.
I want her to know she can tell me anything.....ANYTHING.
Something I started about a year ago to help this communication process is a simple notebook....but to us it isn't simple. It's OUR notebook. Eva and I use this notebook to write each other. Sometimes the notes are very simple and non-specific. Sometimes the notes are very deep and very serious.
I remember when I was younger I could WRITE about how I felt sometimes better than SPEAKING about how I felt. I've found the same is true with my little girl. The notebook allows us to discuss things that can be tough to talk about.....or put adequate thought into something before responding to it.
It's honestly been an amazing tool in our little relationship.
"Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big....because to them all of it has always been big stuff"
--Catherine Wallace

1 comment:
So encouraging! (even if my daughter is only 2.5) I know it'll go by fast! I have a niece who is about to be 13 and her mom has said very similar things to what you've said in this post! :) I need to tell her about your blog so she can read along too!
Post a Comment