Saturday, February 1, 2014

Half Marathon Training

I am officially in the thick of my training!  At this point I am training for a 5k, and then after completing that training (which will end with me running 3 miles consistently) I will move on to my half training. This morning I ran a mile and a half straight.  No big deal for many, but I haven't ran that far since last summer...so it was a baby step closer!   I have one month down, and I am looking at 4 more months of training before I am ready.  Sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming, and at times it hasn't been easy. 

I have worried that I bit off more than I can chew.
I have doubted my endurance.
I have doubted my ability.

However, I am proud of myself for the pure fact that I have not budged on my commitment.  When I said I was going to do this I meant it.

I run 4 days a week.  Every week.
I strength train 3 days a week.  Every week.
I eat smarter.
I hydrate more.
And when the treadmill tells me I have half a mile more to run and every ounce of my body says to stop and walk....I RUN.

A good friend recently shared an article with me that said "Mental toughness is built by doing something that is hard over and over and over again, especially when you don't feel like it.  Our society has conditioned us to believe that there should be no discomfort, to stop when we are uncomfortable.  But the discomfort we feel when we are doing a challenging workout is an important part of the strengthening process.  Push through your down days when your not feeling your best.  Dogged determination requires keeping your feet moving forward through inconveniences, discomfort, and insecurities to reach your goal."

Pretty good metaphor for life, eh?



Month two of training starts.....now.

Xoxo.
Jamie





No comments: