Friday, February 28, 2014

Beans, beans, the wondrous fruit...the more you eat the more you {GASP!}!!!



Anyone that knows me knows that I have a slight obsessions with black beans.  "Slight obsession" meaning that eat them nearly every single day (Greyson also has this addiction as you can see from the picture above).  

Not only do they taste great, but I recently read an article by a doctor that called them a "nearly perfect form of food."  Yay beans!!!  On top of that, the older I get the more I verge on becoming vegetarian (not for health reasons, but just because I am disgusted by most forms of meat)....and black beans provide me with the protein I need instead of meat!!  Yay beans!


A while back I was talking to a friend of mine about my affection for black beans and mentioned that I eat them so often I really should start making them from dried beans (just look up the dangers of eating food out of aluminum cans yourself sometime.  Scary stuff).  Well, this particular friend just HAPPENS to be from Mexico and quickly rattled off her recipe for black beans.  

I got the ingredients and tried it immediately.

OH.  MY.  WORD.  In my opinion, the best black beans EVER.  Needless to say, my addiction grew by leaps and bounds.

Just in case anyone out there has an addiction to black beans like this girl, here is the recipe...

Start with a bag of dried black beans.

Dump them into a colander and rinse them off.

Once they are rinsed, pour them into a large pot (not a sauce pan, but more of a stock pot).

Add water.  I fill it so it's just a couple inches from the top, but it would depend on the size of your pot.

Add salt.  I use sea salt, but you could use table salt too.  Like all good recipes that have been passed down through generations, my friend didn't have exact amounts for the ingredients.  I tend to add about 2 T. 

Add a few cloves of peeled garlic.  No need to chop it, just dump it in!  The beans simmer for quite awhile so the garlic actually dissolves into the beans.  I like garlic so I add quite a few.


That's it!!  You just let it simmer on the stove for a few hours.  I have found that the longer it cooks the more mushy the beans get.  My family tends to like them a little more firm so about 2 hours simmering is good.  The beans taste sooo good that you'll never want to buy canned beans again!!  The recipe makes quite a bit, so I just cover them and keep them in the fridge.  Our family usually goes through them in a few days.  I am FOREVER grateful to my sweet friend for sharing this recipe with me!

I also needed to include this picture because the day I was making the beans, I was also making cupcakes for the older two kiddos school carnival and I had QUITE the helper...


"No one is born a great cook...one learns by doing"
--Julia Childs

No comments: