Monday, September 23, 2013

Judgement.


From the amount of weight gained while pregnant....to whether you breast or bottle feed...to the number of children you choose to have.  Lately I've noticed just how much judging there is going on in this world....especially among mothers.  

Judging.
Comparing.
Competing.

Whatever you want to call it, it runs rampant in the parenting world.  We spend our days teaching our children to love and accept others, yet we think nothing of dolling out a "she brought STORE-BOUGHT treats to the class party?!!!!" right in front of our child.   It seems we all can't come to grips with someone that does things a little differently than we do. 

The parents that let their children eat at McDonalds are judged because McDonalds is horrible for their health.  The parents that don't let their children eat at McDonalds are judged because they are denying their children one of the fundamental joys of childhood.

The parents that let their children stay up late are judged because studies show children need sleep.  The parents that have their children in bed by 8:00 are judged because - especially if they work - they aren't spending enough quality time with them in the evenings.

The mother that orders take-out nearly every night is judged because her children are not eating quality food.  The mother that makes everything from scratch is judged because she's setting unrealistic expectations for her children and their future.

The parents that vaccinate on schedule are judged because - gasp! - haven't they read the latest information regarding vaccines and health?!  The parents that do not vaccinate on schedule or  - gasp! - do not vaccinate at all are judged because they are endangering their children!

The mother that shows up in the carpool line in sweats is judged because she's a mess.  The mother that showers and dresses nicely each day is judged because she must be trying to impress others.

The mothers that provide homemade treats in the classroom are judged for being over-achievers.  
The mothers that provide store-bought treats are judged for being lazy.
The fathers that coach the little league teams are judged for their coaching style.
The fathers that do not coach are judged for not being involved.

Do I need to go on?

I have to wonder why, as parents, we spend so much time judging other parents....when we all know just how hard it is to be a parent?

Having a child (or children) is one of the biggest responsibilities you'll ever have.  Throw in the day-to-day responsibilities of being an adult (which varies for each family depending on who works, how old the children are, extracurricular activities, if a spouse travels, schedules, etc) and you realize that we all have our own unique situations that result in making choices that best work for our personal families.  There is a story behind every person, a reason they are the way they are.  Before you judge someone for a decision they made, consider the options they may have been given before making that decision.

The mother that provided store-bought treats for the classroom party....maybe she did that so she could spend some quality time snuggling and reading with her children after a long day at work.  Instead of jumping to a conclusion why don't you remind her that Kit-Kats/Reese cups/etc were your favorite treat when you were a child!  Help her feel okay with her decision.  She put her kiddos first.

The mother that pulls into the carpool line freshly showered and dressed nicely....maybe that morning was the only time all day that she's going to have time to actually get a shower in!  Tell her she looks nice!! 

I would love to see all of us practicing a little more grace.  Stop comparing.   Stop assuming.  You make the choices that are best for YOU,  I'll make the choices that are best for ME, and lets stop the critiquing.  We are all in the trenches of parenthood together.  Let's lift each other up instead of tearing one another down.  There is absolutely NO way to be a perfect mother....but there are a million ways to be a really good one.  

I am a mama that showers and gets ready nearly every day.
I make some killer cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookies.
I stink at making brownies.
I own a sewing machine, but can't sew a straight line.
I'm passionate about delaying vaccines.
I'm good at photography.
I love to read to my children.
I'm no good at playing Star Wars...but I'm willing to try.
I've never volunteered to coach anything.
When I take my youngest to playgroups, I am often the oldest mother.
I let my children listen to Jimmy Buffett.
I like the taste of alcohol, but rarely drink.
I try very hard to keep my house picked up, but some days it's a losing battle.
I feed my family a lot of organic foods and we do not eat at McDonalds.
I get a lot of my "good ideas" from Pinterest.
I limit my kids screen time.
I exercise every day...but I eat chips and salsa like it's my job.
I don't take my children to the park regularly.
Some days I can't wait until bedtime.

Regardless, I love my family more than anything and I'm doing the very best I can....JUST LIKE YOU.




"If you judge people you have no time to love them"
--Mother Theresa





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one in the family that stinks at making brownies!! :) You're a wonderful mom and aunt!! Kallie told me the other day she wants to move closer to you because "aunt Jamie is so nice because she lets me do her hair and she never says I hurt her when I do it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Agreed. With all of it.
Your post also got me thinking about how many times we THINK we are being judged (when we are probably not) and then that leads to more (defensive) judging. Another hazard of social media, I'm sure. For example, as a working mother, I always live with a smidge of guilt for leaving my children every day and the jealousy of those who don't have to. I can't tell you how many times innocent comments like "I chose my children over the workplace" or "I'm the CEO of my household" make me feel as if I'm being judged for working. I realize that is not the intent behind them. And oddly, one thing I always try to teach my girls is that "no one can make you feel anyway unless you let them". But I can't even count how many times I have let the stay at home mom slogans offend and hurt me. Shame on me. And more so, because I will start to wonder why I can work full time, run a similar household and the school carnival and other's cannot. I will judge how they can't get as much done as I can. Again, shame on me.
And I believe we create competition - when it isn't even there. For example, I heard a radio show the other day and the topic was "Moms who go way over the top with birthday parties to outdo everyone else". This made me so sad. And it's not that I don't believe there are people out there who do that. I am sure there are. I am just a Mom who does go way over the top (for EVERY party) simply because I enjoy it. I'm not even silly enough to think my kids appreciate it. I just LIKE to do
it! I don't exercise, do yoga, or sew! All of my baking stinks - not just my brownies! Party planning just happens to be my only real hobby!
This was another good reminder that we should BE the example we are trying to set.
Stacie
xoxox

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Amen Stacie!

Anonymous said...

I love it. Very well said. Thanks for your encouragement. <3 Heather

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I am a stay at home mom and wouldn't change it for the world. But it is not easy and it takes a lot of patience. I have so much respect for working moms. It is a choice and not one is better than the other. I try my best to volunteer at the school as much as I can...I know some do more and some do less. I throw a mean Birthday party and not to try to out do others but because I love it!!! I must say I make killer brownies...the key is the homemade frosting:o) I have 3 boys and wouldn't change it for the world even though everyone thinks I should be so very sad because I do not have a girl. I love to spend as much time with my boys as I can so I am pretty darn good at football, baseball and basketball and love watching football on Sundays with my gang!!! As my kids get older I am finding it much easier to shower and get ready "almost" everyday. I am trying my best to start exercising but it is so hard but I love to dance with my boys when no one is watching!! Thanks again for your post it is such a good reminder for us all!

Angie(Former girl from the neighborhood)