Our family has just returned from our 2nd vacation to Sanibel Island and it's safe to say we have completely fallen in love with this little piece of Heaven. I know some of you are anxious to see pics from our vacation, and I'll get to those asap....but first I want to share just what makes this little island so special to us...
1. You don't feel like you are in the United States. Seriously. You cross that bridge from the mainland and all of a sudden you kind of feel like you're much further away from home than you are. Matt and I have both commented on this numerous times.
2. Bike Paths....EVERYWHERE! Our family loves to bike together and Sanibel has bike paths around the whole island! We can bike to breakfast...bike to lunch...bike to dinner...bike to go shopping...bike for ice cream...you catch my drift.
![]() |
| Our little bikers! |
3. Deserted Beaches. Yes, I know that some people like the hustle and bustle of a busy beach....but we don't. I'm perfectly content if we are the only ones as far as the eye can see. Sanibel provides us with a very sparsely populated beach. Not many people. No music. No large hotels in the background. Just us...sand...and the ocean. Perfect.
| Matt and Greyson at sunset. |
4. Do you like large chain restaurants? If you do, then Sanibel isn't for you. There is ONE chain restaurant on the whole island...Dairy Queen. There are soooo many yummy little island restaurants scattered all over that we have trouble choosing which ones we want to go to! We have two favorites...Island Cow and Pinocchio's!
![]() |
| Gotta love eating outside!! |
5. Sea Life. Sanibel has AMAZING sea life. The majority of the island is protected so the little critters on this island are amazing! We loooove to go walk down to the ocean before the sun comes up to find all the treasures left the night before! This year we found a lot of conch shells with the mussels still in them rooting back down into the sand, a few decent size sting rays, large hermit crabs, dolphins, and much more!! Such fun for the kids to learn and explore!
6. No stoplights or street lights on the whole island. Want to wander the island at night? Better take a flashlight!
7. Sunrises AND sunsets on the ocean!!! Very few places in the U.S. allow you to watch the sunrise over the ocean....and sunset over the ocean.
Honestly, I could go on and on. We simply love that little island so much!! More pics to come soon!! Have a great day!


3 comments:
Greenwood, IN (where I live) has a Pinocchio's, the only one other than the one on SI! Best gelato ever!
I wanno go! Grandma
Looks lovely, I've never been there, I'll have to add it to the list.
Post a Comment