Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I wanted to take it all back....


Jaden attends Pre-K at a Christian school that has grades Pre-k thru 12th grade.  There is a drop off lane in the mornings when I take Jaden to school, but I explained to him the first day that I would park and walk him in until he felt more comfortable.  That first week of school he kept telling me how important it was to him that I walked him in!!  He wasn't even sure how to get to his classroom and I could tell that worried him.

Well...we are starting our 3rd week of school and I'm (HAPPILY) still walking him into this classroom each morning.  

This morning I was making breakfasts, packing lunches, and chatting with Eva and Jaden about their upcoming day and I absent-mindedly said, "Jaden, do you want me to walk you into school today or drop you off?"

He responded, "You can just drop me off mom".

Whhhaaaaaaaatttttttttt?

I was in the process of making a peanut butter and jelly and nearly dropped the knife.  

I realized all too quickly that HE may be ready for me to just drop him off...but I wasn't. 

I wasn't even NEAR ready.

I was like 12 years away from ready.

I soooooo wanted to go back in time and take that question I asked him back.  

I looked at him and said, "are you sure buddy?!  I'm more than happy to walk you in!"  Jaden said, "Nope mom...I got this."

We loaded into the car and dropped Eva off at her school first.  We all kissed her goodbye and as she got out of the car I told her what I frequently tell her before she runs up to the school...."I'll pray for you today!"  She smiled and off she ran.

Next up was Jaden.  We made our way to his school.  Yes, I checked at least twice to MAKE SURE he didn't want me walking him in.  He assured me he didn't.

(Why DID I have to ask him that question in the first place?!??!??!!!)

We pulled around into the "drop off" lane.  When we got to his door he unbuckled his seatbelt, gave me a big kiss, rubbed my hair, and unlatched the door. 

I looked at my little guy....standing there with a backpack as big as he is and a smile he couldn't contain.  I had tears in my eyes.

"Jaden....I'll pray for you today buddy."

And just like his sister, he smiled, shut the door, and ran up to his school.  Without me.

Tonight I am thankful for 3 amazing and healthy children...I am thankful that my children have the opportunity to go to school..I am thankful that they are growing and learning...and I am trusting God that He's "got this" when my little ones start spreading their wings.





4 comments:

Rose said...

Awwwhhhh!! I hear ya! They just grow up..which is good..but hard! Transitions! Who knew mothering would be so full of em! He sure is a sweetie! And you are a wonderful mom. Letting them go when they are ready and not waiting until we are is the key isn't it?

Anonymous said...

You just made Aunt Kathy all teary eyed! It seems like yesterday that we had "quiet" holiday meals, etc.... And today.......I wouldn't change a thing!!

Anonymous said...

Making me CRY!!! You are such a great mom!

Krista

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a good mom; even a great mom. But let me tell you, I too had a tear in my eye when told your story, however, I had a little smirk going on in addition to the little tear. For you see, you, my dear daughter-in-law, broke the last thread of my apron string with Matt. I couldn't be happier that he is with you and you share him with me to this day.