Thursday, September 16, 2010

Conversations about God...

Both of my children frequently ask questions about God. I love it. It tells me that He is on their minds and in their hearts even when it's not something we are currently discussing.

Last night Eva asked us how God can see all of us when there are so many people. Great question...and one that took a little bit of careful thought before Matt and I answered it.

I loved that the other day we were with friends and in the process of serving all of the children dinner. Some children began eating and I looked over at Eva to see her with her hands clasped, eyes closed, and praying before she ate....all by herself. My eyes welled up with tears.

I love how Jaden will get hurt and quickly say, "It's Ok...God will heal it!"

Today in the car my conversation with Jaden went like this...

Jaden: "Is God in the clouds?"

Me: "Well, the Bible tells us that Jesus went UP into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God....and when I think of UP I frequently think of the clouds and sky, do you?"

Jaden: "Yes. When can we visit God?"

Me: "We can't visit God like we visit our friends, in other words we can't drive to his house. But we do "visit" with God every time we pray and spend time talking to Him."

Jaden: "I bet when we go up in an airplane we may see Him Mommy!!!"

I could have continued the conversation, but I love the innocence of his thinking. In his mind God is up in the sky. Heck, when I was really little I use to think that God was the priest at our church!! Eva on the other hand has started to really think things through. She is asking harder questions and seeking answers.

I treasure the time I spend talking about our faith with my little ones. It's amazing to see them starting to soak it in....starting to understand.

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
Matthew 19:14

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

They are such an inspiration to all of us....I love the little ones simplistic reflections on God, They are so innocent! I love having similar conversations with Tessa.

Anonymous said...

I love it. When you ask the girls where Jesus lives, they will tell you He lives in our hearts. I love it when the smallest of small "ouchies" happen and we stop what we are doing and pray RIGHT THEN! Awesome!!
kat