Friday, August 13, 2010

Organizing the School Year Momentos...

I am not a scrapbooker. There...I admit it.

I do not have time to scrapbook and when I have given it an honest effort in the past all I ended up doing was freaking out because I was continuously behind in my efforts. For those of you that do scrapbook - you amaze me. Period.

That being said, I do like to have things organized for my children. Now that Eva has started school there has been on onslaught of papers that have come home. Some of them I put up on our wall (our fridge is stainless steel so it's not magnetic...we have a special side cabinet wall in our kitchen we use to showcase special things). Other papers I look over and then (of course when the little ones are not looking) end up in the trash. Then there are some that mean a lot to me and I want to save.

The problem was what to do with it all (especially since I don't scrapbook and did NOT want a huge bin full of random papers).

Ahhhhh.....about the time I was fretting about this I had become a fan of Sandy's blog over at the Reluctant Entertainer. She had an idea on her blog to keep those papers organized that was sheer genius! I've been using it for a year now and I absolutely LOVE it.

I purchased a large white plain binder. I put cute scrapbook paper in the cover, added Eva's name and the years of schooling the binder will cover, and decorated it...

Inside I put a bunch of clear plastic report covers. When Eva would bring something home that I wanted to save I would just slip it into the plastic cover!! That's it!!!

Here are some examples of things that made it into Eva's book last year....
Special Art Projects

Pictures she would draw (love this one of Mickey Mouse)...
Copies of notes to Eva's teacher...as well as some notes her teacher gave her...
Gifts that she made (this was how she wrapped my Mother's Day gift)...
As time goes on I'll continue to add special things to her binder...sports memorabilia, fieldtrip experiences, awards, etc. Anything that means a lot to her and our family.

Thanks so much to Sandy for giving me this amazing idea!!! I hope that it also helps some of my readers get organized this school year!

3 comments:

Angel said...

...and you inspired me! I've had my binder going since we visited you this winter. However, my cover is not yet decorated, and I am hoping that this binder will maybe get us through K. There is NO WAY that we will make it til grade 5. (Why didn't I get a bigger binder, you ask? I did. It's huge). My house may become over laden with binders, but it will be much better that papers flying everywhere, right?

Kimberly said...

LOVE this idea and I started it with Tessa's art work...she really enjoys showing it to others when they come over, she is so proud of "Her Scrapbook artwork!", thanks for sharing yet another wonderful idea :)

Jami said...

I do something just like this for Cameron. I also found it important to write little notes about why it was special at the time.