Friday, July 9, 2010

My Favorite Things - Children's Books

I will be the very first to admit that one of my addictions in life is buying books for my children. I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have a box in our basement full of brand new books I haven't even introduced to our children yet...and I keep on buying them. Part of the reason is that books are precious to me...something that I pull out and share with the children when the time is right (for example, I read The Kissing Hand to Eva before she started preschool). I would also blame it on the fact that I use to be a teacher...but the truth is I was buying children's books before I even was a teacher and looooong before I had my own children. I just simply love children's literature.

There are sooooo many incredible books out there that it was really hard for me to narrow it down. I could have easily made this post 2 or 3 posts long...I honestly have that many children's books I love!! BUT...for the sake of time and....well...your sanity....I kept my list to 5. Enjoy...


The Beginners Bible is hands down the best childrens Bible I have ever seen. My children each have their very own special copy of it and it is something that the both hold dearly. What I love about this Bible is that it includes SO MANY stories (compared to other children's Bibles). It also gives enough information that it keeps their attention...but it doesn't give so much that they lose interest. Matt and I both use our children's Bibles as bedtime stories...as a time-buster in waiting rooms....as well as when we are disciplining our children. For example, after one of our children was caught lying we read the 10 commandments together and discussed why God doesn't like us to lie. I can't say enough about this book. I purchased ours at the local Christian Bookstore. It is also available on Amazon for $12.00

Gotta love Stormie Omartian! I love some of her adult books...and this children's book of hers is amazing. To sum it up, it talks about how and why we talk to God. It discusses how we can talk to God in a loud voice, a soft whisper, or even silently in our heads. It explains how much God loves us and that He wants to hear from us every single day. It talks about the language of prayer. I love the simplicity in which this book is written. I love the pictures. I love that Stormie was able to put into words something that most of us just model for our children. This book is one I will never get rid of. You can purchase it on Amazon for $11.00.

I purchased this book when Eva was just a little tiny baby, and it quickly became one of my favorites. It is put to rhyme (which normally I don't like - but in this case it's amazing) and it discusses the love between a parent and child. One thing I love about this book is that it covers the idea that I love you even when you make choices that aren't the best...or if a may quote,
"I love you being nice and when you're cranky too - I love you without liking the naughty things you do. My love you doesn't change with the temper of the days, it's a certain kind of thing in many different ways."
It's a message alllll children need to hear. A GREAT bedtime story! Available at Amazon for $11.00.

Ahhhhh.....Max Lucado. I think the author alone tells you that this book is a work of art...or heart. I'll be completely honest, I haven't introduced this book to my children just yet. I want to wait until they are just a little bit older (the elementary years). It is a book I use to read to my class every year when I taught 4th grade. The book basically discusses how "the maker" (love that!) created you in His image to be as He wants you to be...and you should never worry what other people think of you or the "marks" that they give you. God loves you just the way you are. A powerful story. Available at Amazon for $20.00. Also note, Max Lucado has a plethora of amazing children's books!! I strongly encourage you to check them out!!

Last but not least...The Giving Tree. This book is a classic, but it's one of my favorite and also one of Eva's. The pictures are simple...the story line is simple...but the message is powerful. I also use to read this book to my fourth graders and they loved it as much as my five year old daughter does. Available at Amazon for $10.00.

"If kids are entertained by two letters - T and V - imagine the fun they'll have with 26 letters!!! Open your child's imagination. Open a book.'
--Unknown

No comments: