Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bye Bye Binki!

Jaden has still been using his binki at night when he sleeps. Matt and I have always said age 3 is when the binki has to go (we had Eva give hers up a few weeks after turning 3). I'm not gonna lie, it made me sooo sad to have Jaden give up his binkies...it is just another sign that my little guy is growing up and isn't a baby anymore. However, regardless of how I felt it was TIME.

When I say that Jaden loves his binki I am not kidding...he sleeps with about 6 of them! It's very obvious that they bring him comfort and security. I was concerned about how things were going to go when it was time to tell them goodbye so I knew I had to make it a REALLY big deal and make it REALLY special for him.

I decided to have Jaden put his binkies inside of an animal from Build-a-Bear. Then he would technically still have his binkies, but they would be inside his special animal. We started talking about this weeks ago, and this week we had a countdown chart on the wall so he knew this day was coming. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best today we ventured to Build-a-Bear...

Heading in and holding all of his binkies...

He picked out a monkey and our "helper" is ready to stuff him and the binkies for Jaden's special animal!
Jaden got to control the amount of stuffing. He kept it pretty soft so he could still feel the binkies.

Making sure he can feel his binkies...

He then added his heart...


And VIOLA! We had a very special monkey named Binki!

Jaden loaded up on a little loot for his very special monkey (including some big boy underwear for him because don't allllll monkeys need underwear?!) and then it was time to check out!

And here he is....my little guy with NO binkies and a very special monkey!


Tonight was the real test...how would he do? When Eva gave up her binkies it was UGLY. It was like someone had replaced my sweet little girl with a child I didn't know!! I was bracing myself for how tonight would go.

I decided to skip a nap today and make sure he was nice and tired tonight. We played hard and then he had a shower, read a few books, and snuggled in with Binki the Monkey.

And guess what?

He fell right to sleep. No binkies...no crying...nothing. Just a loving snuggle with a very special monkey.


"When you have children there are memories you store directly in your tear duct. "

--Robert Brault

7 comments:

joyfulheart said...

what a wonderful idea to put the binkies inside the stuffed animal. You are so clever. I wish I had that tip when M and J were little. Between the 2 of them, they had 12 binkies!! Congrats to Jaden.

Mattymill said...

Awesome way to do it Jamie! I'll have to remember that when it's time for Brooks to give up his beloved pacis. He likes to sleep with 1 in his mouth, and 1 in each hand. We miss you guys - hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Way to go little man! Aunt Kathy is so proud of you. Love you more than rainbows.

Marika said...

Such a terrific idea!

Jami said...

What a great idea! I had a another friend at Build-a-Bear today celebrating a binke-free lifestyle!

Kimberly said...

L-O-V-E the idea and the photos. Not going to lie, I will miss seeing the little man with his gang of binkies! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! GREAT idea and GREAT JOB Jaden! You must be so proud ;)
Angel