Thursday, June 11, 2015

Playing in the Big Leagues!

Eva loves basketball.

Always has.

It's her passion.

We always knew our little girl had some talent, but as parents Matt and I both feel it's important to stay humble.  We've both said we never want to be one of those parents that's says, "My daughter is AMAZING!!!!" when it comes to sports.  We want to provide her with opportunities that challenge her and let God take the glory for this gift that she has.

However, we were having trouble finding things that challenged her.

At one point we had her in a program when she was 8 years old and she was playing 13 year old boys....and she was holding her own.

Still, we continued to look for opportunities and sign her up for programs that we hoped would help her grow.

We had steered clear or our local high school programs because we had heard that the high school team teaches them....and in all honesty we weren't sure it would give Eva the challenge that she needed if kids were teaching it.  However, we kept hearing that the program was good and that it opened doors for some traveling programs so this past year we signed her up.

It was a good program.  Most importantly, she had fun!  We did another high school program when it became available, and again she enjoyed it.

Then a few weeks ago we ran into the high school coach.  He said, "I've been meaning to get ahold of you.  I would like to invite Eva to start practicing with the high school team"

I replied, "Sure...you mean like open gym?"

He said, "No, we will be doing drills and running some plays.  I know that Eva is only 10 and I promise we will take good care of her....but I'd really like to get her in there playing with the older girls"

Whaaaaaaat???!!!

Wow...Matt and I were touched!!  Eva....well...she wanted to vomit because it made her so nervous! 

He gave us a schedule and we decided which practices she could attend.  The night before the first practice (this past week) I was honestly concerned she was going to throw up.  She was SO NERVOUS.  And the truth is...I didn't blame her!!  I would have been nervous too!!!

I prayed with her and I reminded her of the sign she has hanging in her room:  LET YOUR FAITH BE BIGGER THAN YOUR FEAR!!

The next morning she headed out for practice.

High school practice.

Holy smokes.

Matt walked in with her and stayed awhile just to make sure she was comfortable.  The coach rounded the girls up in a big circle for some pre-drill stretches.  He said, "I'm going to yell out your grade level and I need you each to individually yell out your name"

He said, "Incoming Seniors".....and the seniors each yelled their names.

"Incoming Juniors"...and the juniors yelled their names.

"Incoming Sophomores"....and the sophomores yelled their names.

"Incoming Freshman"....and the freshman yelled their names.

Then he paused and said, "Incoming 5th Grader".....and my little girl...the only little girl in that big huge circle of girls much bigger and older than her said, "Eva Fisher"

And those big girls?  The girls that made Eva so scared and nervous?  They started clapping and cheering for her. 

{Tears}.

"If your dreams don't scare you bit...they aren't big enough"
--Unknown

2 comments:

Amber said...

Go EVA!!!

Anonymous said...

All my granddaughter are growing up way too fast! K and L are at the high school at 5:00 a.m. to use the high school weight room. Kal does more weights and Lil runs around the track so many times her mom can't keep track. Proud of all of them.