"What do you want for your birthday?"
Common question around here when a birthday is approaching. This year I decided to handle my birthday a little differently. Instead of RECEIVING...I decided that as a family we were going to GIVE. I decided to do 38 Random Acts of Kindness for my 38th Birthday.
Now I should preface this post with the fact that I am NOT asking for a pat-on-the-back by writing about this. I want no credit. I got the idea from a blog post, and I thought that possibly by writing about it others may be inspired to do something similar. The world needs all the love it can get.
Note: Most of these Acts of Kindness were done in one day, but it took about 2 weeks to complete all of them.
38 Random Act of Kindness
1. The kids and I went to our local Martins (many of you have probably heard about the recent events at Martins) and gave the employees a card.
2. We also purchased a few gift cards and as we walked through the store I let the kiddos decide who to hand them to. Honestly, doing this made them both a little nervous....but I felt it was good for them to reach out. Afterwards, they were both just giddy with excitement about it.
3. We put some diapers and wipes in the bathroom on the changing station for a mama to find!
4. We put a special note on the bathroom mirror for people to see when they wash up.
(sorry the picture is blurry)
5. We taped some popcorn packets onto a Redbox so that people could enjoy some popcorn with their movies!
6. We went to Starbucks and paid for the person behind us in line.
7. We also delivered some hot coffee to some construction workers we saw bundled up and working in the cold.
8. We put a box of Girl Scout Cookies, along with a note, in our mailbox for our mail lady.
9. We delivered donuts to our local fire station.
10. We made homemade cookies for all of the neighbors and the kiddos delivered them.
11 - 12. I sent Matt to work with homemade cookies for the lunch room, as well as a special packet of cookies for a sweet lady that works with him that is always so nice to our kiddos.
13. We went to Dunkin' Donuts (to purchase donuts for others) and paid for the person behind us.
14. We had lunch with Daddy at a local restaurant and left the waitress a package of Girl Scout Cookies along with her tip.
15. We also left a little note on the bathroom mirror of the restaurant.
16. We went to the dollar store and tucked a few $1 bills into the toy section for a child to find.
17. We took a donation to our local Humane Society. Eva and Jaden also collected money for this donation. They were pretty excited. Greyson...well he was just in love with all the animals!
18. We cleaned out all of our toys, boxed up the gently used ones, and dropped them off at the Women's Shelter for less fortunate children to enjoy.
19. I donated blood in memory of someone special.
20. I gave a small gift (a magnet with a quote on it) to a special group of girls I meet with every week.
21. I COMPLETELY surprised the kiddos by suggesting ICE CREAM for dinner one night!!!
22. I sent out some snail mail to some special people I love but don't see often enough.
23. I made the kiddos teachers a meal (I do this every month).
24. I dropped off a meal to a friend that works some CRAZY hours. One less thing for her to worry about one evening.
25. I treated a friend I rarely see to lunch.
26. I took homemade grape juice to my MOPS mentor mom to thank her for her hard work.
27. I stuck a little note inside Matt's suitcase to surprise him on a recent business trip.
28. I sent MY amazing mom flowers at work to thank her for being so awesome.
29. We made cookies for some local friends.
30. I made a donation to a little girl that was selling keychains to raise money for her aunt that has breast cancer. Honestly friends, supporting children that are reaching out to others is SO important. Give generously. Give often.
31. I scheduled a playdate for each of my children that they have been begging for for weeks.
(yes, that is my son in the dress...they were trying to trick me)
32. I not only sat and WATCHED a football game with my husband...I actually commented on it (other than whether or not I liked the uniforms) and even sent out some texts about it to a friend that I knew was watching. If you know me...this is major. I was definitely speaking his love language.
33 - 34. We delivered cookies to our church offices and our KidsWorld staff to thank them for all of their hard work.
35. I delivered cookies and a little note to an elderly friend that I enjoy.
36. We purchased donuts and delivered them to the office staff at the kiddos school.
37-38. We purchased the kids teachers favorite candy bars, decorated them, and they delivered them to school.
There you go my friends...38 Random Acts of Kindness to celebrate my 38th birthday!! I have to tell you, it was sooooo much fun. I loved the conversations that it created with the kiddos and I loved that sometimes a Random Act of Kindness would pop up unplanned (like the construction workers we delivered coffee to). Definitely a birthday I will always remember.
XOXO...
Jamie
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
--Ghandi










5 comments:
So proud of the person you've 'grown up' to be! Love you BUNCHES, Jump!!!
xoxoxo
Mom
I love everything about this, this is so my love language it would be my ideal birthday!! Thank you for sharing love it!!!! And Happy Birthday!!
I wish I were closer so that I could do more to help you! Happy Birthday.
I know stealing is wrong, but I HAVE to steal some of these ideas! I LOVE IT! once again, so glad I found your blog today!! lol
Thanks so much!!! Steal away my friend! Ha!!
Post a Comment