However, my personal favorite moment came at the very end of the day.
As we were finishing up and getting ready to head back to our car Jaden was apparently going to ask for something. I overheard Eva whisper to him, "Don't ask for anything, Mommy has already done a lot of special things for us today"
Oh. My. Word.
I about started crying right there in the middle of the pretzel shop we were standing in.
I have been working for YEARS...literally years....on teaching my children gratitude and contentment. At times I felt like my efforts were in vain. However, I'm wondering if all that work just took time to sink in for them. I have talked to them about gratitude and contentment. I have put them in situations and pointed out situations where others had far less AND far more than we do. Teaching them this life lesson is so important to me....and that day, standing there in that little pretzel shop, my heart was full.
I'm no fool, I know we are still going to deal with some self-centered attitudes and lack of gratitude, but yesterday was a HUGE sign to me that my efforts have not been in vain. It IS sinking in.
I'm slowly learning that parenthood is not a sprint. The truly important things you want your children to learn are not going to be learned overnight. It's a marathon and the slow and steady runner is going to win the race. Learning takes time. If you're in it for the long haul you better tighten your laces.
But NOTHING is more worth it.
I'll leave you with one of my very very favorite quotes by one of my favorite ladies....
"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much"
--Jackie Kennedy
No comments:
Post a Comment