Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Servant's Heart....

I've said over and over that one of the things I really want to instill in my children is giving to others. It's something that was instilled in me by my mother...and I fully intend to pass it down.

I love it when I see little glimpses of this in my children...little hints that I am on the right path to teaching them this valuable lesson. While we were in Disney I was fortunate enough to catch just a little glimpse and - ohhhhh - how it warmed my heart.

When we would visit with characters or other Disney staff they would often give Eva and Jaden stickers. Jaden would peel his sticker off an put it right on his shirt, but I noticed that Eva wasn't following suit. After awhile (and many stickers) Matt and I finally asked her why she wasn't wearing her stickers. She told us that she wanted to bring something home from Disney for all of her classmates...and she thought the stickers that she was being given would be something that they would all enjoy.

Seriously....melt my heart.

On top of that, every evening our hotel would put chocolates on our pillows. Eva would never eat hers...just quickly tuck it away. When I asked her why she told me the exact same thing. She said that the children in her class would probably really enjoy those chocolates.

I love this girl...loooove her. What really touched me about this whole scenario is that Eva never asked Matt and I to purchase something for her classmates - in fact she never even said anything to Matt and I at all until we asked. She simply took matters into her own hands and used the means she had to ensure her classmates would have something special too.

Soooo, after much saving and counting we came home with more than enough stickers AND chocolates for every single person in Eva's classroom. I wish you could have seen her face when she walked in and started passing them out.....I wish you also could have seen the children's faces....priceless.

"It's nice to be important...but it's more important to be nice."
--Unknown

No comments: